Today’s recipe is inspired by McDonald’s. As far as I know, the Big Roesti is a special offer product of the fast food chain that is only available in Germany and Austria and is sold once a year for a few weeks as part of the “Hüttengaudi” special weeks. Besides the included Rösti-Taler, the cheese sauce is particularly special for the burger. And we have simply recreated all this vegan and thus created a delicious vegan Big Roesti Burger.
Even in the vegan version, the burger is not very vegetable-heavy and healthy: bun, patty, roesti / hash browns, cheese, bacon, cheese sauce – that’s it. But every now and then you can treat yourself to something like this.
Vegan Big Roesti Burger
- For the cheese sauce, place the vegan cheese with the plant milk in a small saucepan and melt over a medium heat while stirring. Season with a pinch of salt and leave to cool completely. Only then fold in the mayonnaise.
- Fry the vegan bacon until crispy. Crumble 1 slice for the buns, keep the rest for the burgers.
- Cut the burger buns in half. Spread a little plant milk on the top halves. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bacon crumbs. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for a few minutes.
- Fry the roesti / hash browns in a large frying pan with a dash of vegetable oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain. Then fry the burger patties on both sides in the pan.
- Now it's time to assemble the burger: first put a blob of cheese sauce on the bottom half of the bun, then top with the patty, hash browns and bacon. Put a big dollop of cheese sauce on the top half of the bun. Enjoy!
Song of the recipe:
The singer Dagobert comes from Switzerland and, according to his own statement, makes “Schlager with ambition”. Nie wieder arbeiten (which means: never work again) is definitely a great song.
(Would you like to listen to all the songs for the recipe? Find them collected in one playlist here)