Do you know the warm and creamy cheese sauce, that you can order in some cinemas instead of salsa with your nachos. I’m loving it! Or I loved it. Because that cheese sauce is usually not vegan. Luckily the vegan nacho cheese sauce can made quickly at home. And you can put in as much or as little chili as you like.
Basically the nacho cheese sauce is just a variation of a vegan classic. I’m talking about plant-based mac & cheese sauce made from cashews and some vegetables. Since 2016, a recipe for vegan mac & cheese can be found as well.
A small hint: if you don’t have a powerful blender, you can also soak the cashews in water for a couple of hours. Then they are easier to blend.
VEGAN NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
Ingredients for 1 serving (about 2,50 Euros):
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 1 medium-sized carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 50 g cashews (unsalted)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 l water
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp (smoked) paprika powder
- 5 pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 tbsp jalapeño pickling liquid
- optional: 1/2 red chili pepper
1. Peel and chop the potato, carrot, onion and garlic clove. Boil with water, salt and cashews in a saucepan with a lid on for about 10-15 minutes until soft.
2. Blend the vegetables with the cooking water and the remaining ingredients in an electric blender until smooth. That’s it. The vegan nacho cheese sauce is ready.