Coleslaw tastes particularly good during the barbecue season. Today, however, we have modified the creamy, American (or also British, Australian) version of the cabbage salad a little. We make vegan kohlrabi slaw. Instead of white cabbage, we use kohlrabi as the main ingredient. Kohlrabi is now in season and will probably be found more frequently in our vegetable box again in the next couple of weeks.
The also regional and seasonal radishes ensure a pleasant spiciness. We also add an apple to the salad for a certain fruitiness. Apple juice and apple cider vinegar provide sweetness and acidity, also with a fruity note.
This creates a delicious side dish from just a few ingredients and the simplest preparation, which goes well with any barbecue or party buffet. The vegetables only have to be finely cut or sliced and then mixed with a dressing. That’s actually it.
Vegan Kohlrabi Slaw
- 700 g kohlrabi
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot, small
- 3-4 radishes
- 5 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp vegan yogurt
- 4 tbsp apple juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sweet mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus a little more to taste if necessary
- 1/4 tsp pepper, plus a little more to taste if necessary
- Peel the kohlrabi. Wash the apple, carrot and radish well. Cut or slice everything except the radishes into fine sticks using a knife or a mandoline (vegetable slicer). Thinly slice the radishes.
- Put everything together with the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Finally, season again with salt and pepper.
Song of the recipe:
The opener of the 2009 debut album by The xx is definitely one of the great classics of the indie genre. It opened up a whole new sound world to that time.
(Would you like to listen to all the songs for the recipe? Find them collected in one playlist here)
Leave a Reply