Today we cook vegan spaghetti cacio e pepe. An Italian classic from Rome and a super easy and simple dish. Because pasta with cacio (a Roman pecorino cheese) and pepper actually comes with 3 ingredients in the original. For the vegan version, we need twice as many ingredients (which is still not a lot), but the preparation is nonetheless very easy. In short: cook the pasta, make a sauce from cashew nuts, pasta water and a few spices, mix everything. Ready to eat.
Vegan Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
- 250 g spaghetti
- 70 g cashews
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp miso paste, light
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- optional: vegan grated parmesan
- Pour boiling water over the cashews and let them soak for at least 20 minutes, or even longer.
- Cook the spaghetti al dente according to the package instructions in well-salted water.
- Drain the cashews in the meantime. Puree to a sauce with lemon juice, yeast flakes, miso paste, pepper and 200 ml of pasta cooking water.
- Drain the pasta. Collect the cooking water. Mix the spaghetti with the sauce. Maybe add a little more cooking water. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground pepper and grated vegan parmesan.