Lángos brings back so many memories. When I was kid I’ve been to Hungary more than half a dozen times and I ate it there a lot. But Lángos was (and still is) also available over here in Germany, mostly at annual fairs and small festivals. So I could enjoy this lovely dish even more often.
If you have never heard about Lángos. This Hungarian dish is a deep fried flatbread and therefore not the healthiest option. But hey, you have to allow yourself a little indulgence every now and then. It is topped with cheese, sour cream and garlic most of the time. As this is my favourite version as well and I didn’t have any Lángos for quite a long time, I tried to veganise it. Luckily it worked out so well at the very first try and now I can share this beautiful recipe with you. But be careful, Lángos is highly addictive!
VEGAN HUNGARIAN LÁNGOS
Ingredients for 4 Lángos (about 0,50 euros each):
- 200 g wheat flour
- 125 ml water
- 1/2 package instant yeast (= 3,5 g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp soy “quark” / soy sour cream
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 4 hand full of vegan grated cheese
- salt and paprika powder
- enough vegetable oil to deep fry
1. Mix wheat flour, instant yeast, water and a pinch of salt in a big bowl. Work the dough with your hands until it is smooth. If it sticks to the bowl, add a little bit more flour. If it is too dry, add a little bit of water. Then cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rise for 30-45 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
2. Meanwhile crush the garlic cloves and mix with 4 tbsp water in a small bowl. In another bowl mix the soy “quark” with the lemon juice.
3. Divide the dough into 4 balls. Press each piece flat and stretch it out with your hands. Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or pot over medium-high temperature. Place one Lángos in the hot oil, fry on one side until golden brown (it should take only a minute), then turn around and fry for another minute. Place on paper towel to absorb some of the oil. Repeat with the other 3 Lángos.
4. While the dough is still hot, first add some garlic water with a pastry brush, then spread 1 tbsp of your sour cream mixture on top. Sprinkle with vegan grated cheese and finally season with salt and paprika powder.
Leave a Reply