O’zapft is! The Oktoberfest in Munich is in full swing and again attracts millions of visitors to the Bavarian capital. We are honestly not at all fans of “the Wiesn“. It’s too big for us, too touristy, too commercial and in many places too antosocial (sorry, dear Oktoberfest fans!). We still say yes to a proper Weisswurstfrühstück (Bavarian white sausage breakfast) with sweet mustard, pretzels and wheat beer. But this needs a vegan weisswurst first. And so we deliver the right recipe for that today.
It is based on our recipe for vegan brats. Of course, the spices had to be adjusted accordingly for the weisswurst. Lemon zest, ginger, cardamom, white pepper and mace are included in most traditional recipes. So we picked up on that too. Also important is fresh parsley. It gives a special taste, but also ensures the right look. Our vegan Bavarian white sausage is heated in a classic way in a water bath. Do not worry, the sausage will remain intact and the taste will not be watered down.
Vegan white sausages are still in vain at the Oktoberfest in 2019. Another reason to make yourself comfortable at home with friends instead. Oh, and you don’t have to pay 11 euros for a litre of beer there as well. 😉
Vegan Weisswurst (Bavarian White Sausage)
- 120 g vital wheat gluten powder
- 120 g firm tofu
- 150 g water
- 25 g neutral vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp guar or carob gum
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp mace powder, alternatively: nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Mix all ingredients, except for the vital wheat gluten powder and the parsley, in a blender.
- Finely chop the parsley. Put the vital wheat gluten powder and the parsley in a bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and stir well with a fork. Then knead the mass briefly with your hands - only until a smooth mass has formed - and divide into 5 equal parts.
- Lay out 5 pieces of aluminum foil (each approx. 25 cm long) with the shiny side facing upwards. Now roll each piece of the dough in sausage form, roll it into the aluminum foil and turn the ends of the aluminum foil against each other so that the sausage is tightly closed.
- Bring some water to a boil in a large saucepan and lower the temperature so that the water is only simmering, but not boiling anymore. Place the sausages in a steamer insert (alternatively, a metal sieve or colander hanging in the pot) and steam with the lid closed for approx. 50 minutes. Then let them cool down completely.
- Unpack the vegan white sausages and heat in simmering water for 2-3 minutes before serving. Enjoy them with sweet mustard and pretzels.
Song of the recipe:
Don’t you worry, we don’t listen to Oktoberfest hits when making vegan weisswurst. But there is also good music from Bavaria, where traditional elements of folk music are interpreted in a modern way. Just like LaBrassBanda. For breakfast we have chosen a relaxed song.