With a little thyme roasted sweet potato, a sweet-sour-hot salsa made from almonds and gooseberries, some vegan feta cheese, spring onion rings and a few roasted corn kernels. These are our delicious vegan sweet potato tacos.
The idea for this dish comes from Guerrilla Tacos, a cult taco eatery in Los Angeles. A few changes have of course been made here and there. For example, we don’t use tomatillos, which are relatively difficult to get here in Germany anyway. Gooseberries are currently in season, which means they have a significantly better CO2 balance and also provide a sour, fruity aroma.
By the way, making tacos has been on my to-do list for a long time. At least since I saw the food documentary The Story of the Tacos and the Ugly Delicious episode about tacos on Netflix, a few possible recipes also buzzed through my head. When I discovered by chance that an Asian supermarket around my corner also offers original Mexican products, such as various corn tortillas, it was clear that I finally wanted to try out tacos.
Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos
- 550 g sweet potato, preferably thin and long
- 6-8 twigs thyme
- salt + pepper
- olive oil
Almond Gooseberry Salsa
- 3 tbsp almonds, about 35 g
- 2 red chili peppers, mild
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 175 g gooseberries
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 ml water
- 100 g roasted peppers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 g vegan feta
- 1 spring onion, large
- 50 g roasted corn kernels
- 10 corn tortillas, Ø 14 cm, about 250 g
- 1 lime
- For the salsa cut the chillies into three pieces. Finely dice the clove of garlic. Heat the olive oil in a pan at medium temperature. Fry the chillies for about 3 minutes. Add garlic, almonds and tomato paste and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add gooseberries, salt and water and simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the roasted peppers and agave syrup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into slices about 1 cm thick. If you are using thick, round sweet potatoes, cut the slices in half or third. Fry the sweet potato slices in a pan with a good dash of olive oil and the sprigs of thyme over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the green part of the spring onion into very fine slices. Warm the tacos briefly. Put 3 slices of sweet potato and a few blobs of salsa on each taco. Crumble the feta over it. Sprinkle with corn kernels, spring onion and a little bit lime juice.
Fried onion fanatic, DJ and citizen of the world