Right before Super Bowl Sunday we have a new tasty recipe for all fans of finger food and American fast food: vegan cauliflower hot wings. The cauliflower wings are aromatic, crunchy and pleasantly hot – or just „finger lickin’ good“. Kentucky Fried Chicken’s hot wings served as a role model for this recipe. They are something like my youthful folly or my guilty pleasure. Because not only on Super Bowl nights I stuffed myself with these chicken wings.
Consequently the selection of spices for our vegan cauliflower wings is kept close to the original KFC recipe, which has supposedly been leaked by the Chicago Tribune. Crucial besides seasoning is of course the preparation. The wings have to be crispy instead of sticky. Therefore they are not just brushed with marinade and baked in the oven, but they are two-times coated with a flour mixture and then subsequently deep-fried until crispy.
Because the hot marinade in combination with the wonderfully crispy coating is responsible for the authentic taste, we can easily go without meat subsitutes made from seitan and soya. Cauliflower, instead of chicken, is allowed to take a bath in the spicy marinade and coating. Because of the deep-frying our vegan version is indeed still not healthy, but at least it’s a little bit healthier than the original of KFC. And it’s a lot cheaper anyway.
Vegan Cauliflower Hot Wings (KFC Style)
- 275 ml soya milk
- 7 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp egg-replacer powder, or cornstarch
- 200 g wheat flour
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1,5 tbsp herbal seasoning salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp thymes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 small- to medium-sized cauliflower
- enough highly heatable vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Cut the cauliflower into (not too small) florets and bake them in the oven at 180 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. The cauliflower should then still be crisp-tender. Meanwhile mix the ingredients for the marinade in one bowl. Mix the ingredients for the coating in another bowl.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot or a deep fryer to about 175 degrees. Now dip the cooled down cauliflower florets first in the marinade, then dredge in the coating mixture. Subsequently dip again in the marinade and dredge in the flour mix. When doing so, keep one hand dry while doing the „dirty work“ with the other one. If necessary, place the cauliflower wings on some tinfoil or any other non-sticking surface until deep-frying.
- Put the double coated cauliflower florets in the hot oil and deep-fry for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Place on a paper towel to soak up excess oil before serving.