No matter if it is called sushi burrito, sushirrito or surrito, the finger food mix of Mexican and Japanese cuisine is definitely a major trend. Instead of a wheat tortilla, the burrito filling is rolled in a nori sheet and of course the plain old long grain rice is replaced by seasoned sushi rice. Fusion cuisine on the highest level!
We also fell in love with this tasty combination quite a while ago. Now we present you our very own recipe for a vegan sushi burrito with fried tofu and a simple wasabi mayonnaise. Further ingredients for the burrito filling are carrot, cucumber, kidney beans, corn and seaweed. We left out the in sushi and burritos much loved avocado because of its bad carbon footprint. In our version the wasabi mayonnaise ensures the right amount of creamyness.
By the way, bell pepper, mushrooms, different sorts of cabbage, pumpkin or pickled radish also make a great job in the filling. Just test yourself through the many possibilities. Because the chances are high, that this won’t be your ast sushi burrito.
SUSHI BURRITO WITH TOFU
Ingredients for 2 servings (about 2,00 Euros each):
- 250 g sushi rice
- 50 ml rice vinegar
- 15 g salt
- 40 g sugar
- 3 nori sheets
- 1 small carrot
- 1/4 cucumber
- 3 tbsp kidney beans
- 3 tbsp corn
- 3 tbsp soaked seaweed (e.g. hijiki or wakame)
- 125 g fried tofu
- a splash of soya sauce
- 4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp wasabi
1. Cook and season the sushi rice according to this recipe and let it cool down a bit.
2. Meanwhile quarter the piece of cucumber lengthwise, cut out the seeds and slice the rest. Peel and finely slice or shred the carrot. Mix mayonnaise and wasabi until smooth.
3. Place a nori sheet with the smooth side down on a sushi mat. Halve another nori sheet and place it onto the whole nori sheet overlapping a little bit. Make them stick together by wetting the overlap with damp fingers. Then spread a layer of rice on the nori sheets with damp hands, leaving out about the upper fifth of the nori sheets.
4. Spread half of the wasabi mayonnaise on the rice. Then top with cucumber and carrot strips, kidney beans, corn, tofu and minced seaweed. Wet the left out stripe of nori sheet slightly with your fingers, so the sushi burrito better sticks together after rolling.
5. Firmly roll to a large burrito. Cut the sushi burrito with a sharp, wet knife in halves and enjoy sprinkled with some soya sauce.
Hint: In this video a professional shows you how to correctly assemble and roll the sushi burrito.
Fried onion fanatic, DJ and citizen of the world