We recently had a large fruit box at home, filled to the brim with citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits and mandoras (apparently a mixture of oranges and mandarins). The tropical fruits grown in Europe were reason enough for us to take a look at a real classic of French cuisine. And after some research and two rounds of cooking, we were more than satisfied: we came up with delicious vegan crêpes suzette.
Crêpes suzette are thin pancakes flambéed in a sauce made mainly of orange juice and orange liqueur. Perfect, for example, as a dessert for the next visit of friends, because the flaming in the pan is a nice show effect. And don’t worry. The process is not really dangerous, especially if you use a long match or lighter to light it. Because the added alcohol is burnt up pretty quickly. By the way, flaming (or flambéing) gives the crêpes a wonderful caramelised flavour. So it’s not just about the look, but also the taste.
Vegan Crêpes Suzette
- 175 g wheat flour
- 300 ml soy milk
- 75 ml water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 oranges, organic quality
- 40 g vegan butter
- 50 g of sugar
- 100 ml orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 50 ml lemon juice, alternatively lime juice
- 100 ml orange liqueur, preferably Grand Marnier
- Place the ingredients for the crêpes in a large bowl and mix to form a smooth batter. Now let the dough stand for a while.
- In the meantime, grate the zest from the oranges or cut them into somewhat coarser zests. It is important not to use the white part of the skin, as this part is very bitter. Then peel and fillet the oranges.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add a small dash of vegetable oil and spread evenly with a brush. For one crêpe, add the batter to the pan and toss it immediately to spread the batter thinly. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side. If necessary, thin the batter for the subsequent crêpes with a little water if the first one was not thin enough.
- Brush the finished crêpes very lightly with oil, fold in quarters and keep covered on a plate.
- Caramelize the sugar in the pan over medium heat. Deglaze with the orange juice. Boil until the caramel has dissolved. Stir in the vegan butter and simmer briefly until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Place the folded crêpes in the pan. Add the orange fillets, zest and liqueur, light carefully with a long lighter or match and allow to flambé. As soon as the flame has gone out, serve while still hot.
Song of the recipe:
We serve relaxed French music with the French crepes. Bon appétit!
(Would you like to listen to all the songs for the recipe? Find them collected in one playlist here)