Perhaps you already know Appeltaart from your last holiday in the Netherlands? To be honest, I only found out about this special type of apple pie from an Amsterdam food documentary. Café Winkel 43 in Amsterdam seems to be notorious for its delicious Appeltaart. The result: long queues of hungry visitors outside the café. This aroused my curiosity and after a few hours in the Appeltaart rabbit hole – from videos to recipes to the best cafés – it was clear that Cheap & Cheerful Cooking needed a recipe for vegan Appeltaart. The first attempt at the Dutch apple pie was already pretty good and was immediately approved by friends. But your own standards are always the highest. And so, the very next week, another Appeltaart was baked, which you can now see here and bake for yourself.
The Dutch apple pie in a nutshell: a shortcrust pastry filled with not too small pieces of apple, a little cinnamon and lemon and – depending on your own preference – a few raisins. Everything is topped with a lid in the form of a lattice of shortcrust pastry. The apple pie is best served with a large dollop of „slagroom”, so whipped cream. Fortunately, there are now plenty of vegan versions available.
Vegan Appeltaart - Dutch Apple Pie
- 180 g vegan butter, cold
- 100 g sugar
- 300 g flour
- 1 egg substitute, e.g. 1 tbsp linseed + 3 tbsp water or 3 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 organic lemon, zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 850 g apple
- 50 g raisins
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 organic lemon, juice
- 50 g sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs, for sprinkling the base
- 2 tbsp plant milk, for brushing the cake
- If necessary, prepare the egg substitute in a large bowl. Linseeds for example need to mixed with the water and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Cut the cold butter into cubes. Add the sugar, lemon zest, flour and salt to the egg substitute and knead everything quickly into a smooth dough. Cover the dough and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Place the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and raisins in a large bowl. Core the apples and cut into large cubes. Mix with the lemon juice mixture and cornflour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a springform tin (we use one with a 21 cm diameter) or line with baking paper. Line the base and sides of the springform tin with 3/4 of the dough. Sprinkle the base with breadcrumbs, then pour in the apple mixture. Roll out the remaining dough thinly on a well-floured work surface, cut into strips and place in a lattice shape on the cake and press down. Brush with a little plant milk.
- Bake the Appeltaart in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin, then remove from the tin and cut. Serve the cake with a little vegan whipped cream, if desired.
Song of the recipe:
Not only a beautiful song, but also focusing on an important issue.
(Would you like to listen to all the songs for the recipe? Find them collected in one playlist here)