Today’s recipe is all about the vegetable box of our SoLaWi (solidarity agriculture). They now have carrots, onions and kale en masse in winter. And we use these three ingredients together with a few spices to make a delicious oriental carrot soup with kale chips.
The soup is super easy to prepare and a really nice, warming winter meal. The special seasoning makes the carrot soup a welcome change from traditional soups and stews.
Cumin, coriander and cinnamon give the soup an Arabic note. In the end a dollop of vegan yogurt and some black sesame seeds are added as well. Yummy!
And we can’t get enough of kale chips anyway. Such a delicious yet healthy snack. So you better make double the amount of it. 😉
Are you interested in the topic of vegetable boxes? Do you also want to support regional agriculture and are looking for a SoLaWi near you? solidarische-landwirtschaft.org for example has a great overview sorted by postcode (only for Germany and some surrounding countries though).
Oriental Carrot Soup with Kale Chips
- 600 g carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp vegan yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- olive oil
- 80 g kale
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Peel and roughly chop onion and garlic. Clean the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Heat a good dash of olive oil in a saucepan over medium to high temperature. Sweat the onions. As soon as they turn translucent, add the garlic and carrot. Sweat for another minute while stirring.
- Deglaze the vegetables with the vegetable stock, add the spices and bring to a boil. Then turn down the temperature and simmer with the lid closed for at least 15 minutes.
- Separate the kale from the stem, wash, dry well(!) and tear into bite-sized pieces. Mix with oil, chilli powder and salt. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper so that the kale pieces do not overlap. Preheat the oven to 140 degrees. Bake the kale in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until crispy. In between, if necessary, open the oven door briefly to let the moisture escape.
- Finely blend the soup and season again with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of yogurt, kale chips, and sesame seeds.
Song of the recipe:
Ÿuma are a young songwriter duo from Tunisia. They combine traditional Arabic melodies with western influences such as blues or songwriter music. For fans of electronic music, the remix by Rey&Kjavik is also highly recommended.
(Would you like to listen to all the songs for the recipe? Find them collected in one playlist here)