Bircher muesli comes from Switzerland and is originally prepared with milk, grated apple and hazelnuts. We’ve been eating this version for years now, adding plant based yogurt and grated carrots to it. You can prepare the muesli on the night before and it will even be fine staying a few days in the fridge. It’s also perfectly suited for serving a large portion on breakfast buffets and brunch with friends. It is blazingly fast prepared and the ingredients are available from local sources all through the year (at least in Germany). That makes this muesli a tasty and filling breakfast classic!
Vegan Bircher Muesli
- 1 apple, approx. 170 g
- 1 carrot, approx. 130 g
- 80 g quick oats
- 80 g rolled oats
- 400 g soy yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, optional
- 50 g hazelnuts, or other nuts
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp sugar beet molasses, alternatively agave or maple syrup
- Peal or clean the carrot and slice it with a fine grater. Grate the apple with a coarse grater. It's important to use a grater like in the picture for apple and carrot will turn quite juicy and give natural sweet flavour to it.
- Mix it apple and carrot with oats and yogurt. Optionally add lemon juice if you prefer a more sour taste.
- Cut the nuts in halves and roast them in a pan. Add spices to the hot nuts and glaze them with syrup. It's best to prepare the topping right before serving or store it separately from the muesli to keep the nuts crispy and prevent them from becoming soggy.